In a truly exceptional and groundbreaking achievement, Candela has redefined convention and created a boat that can fly…
Designed and built entirely in Stockholm, Candela has created the world’s first hydrofoiling electric boat with speed and range on par with a fossil fuelled boat. Candela’s pioneering approach to efficiency, software and structural design is radically changing the image and boundaries of electric boats. This remarkable energy reduction is achieved by the use of carefully engineered hydrofoils, which halve the friction compared to a planing boat.
Forget bumpy rides! Even in rough seas, she behaves second to none, often outperforming planing boats in comfort and silence. Candela’s digital flight controller keeps you flying above rough waves, without rolling or heaving, even in strong sidewinds and choppy conditions. Add to that a completely silent ride without CO2 emissions, gas fumes or wake and with low running costs.
Welcome to the future of boating.
The Candela Seven’s inherent excitement, boundless fun and seakeeping capabilities are intrinsic in its design. Once experienced, it is hard to return to port as you carve out thrilling turns and fly above choppy waves and wakes from other vessels. Almost completely silent, and with greatly reduced pollution, this environmentally friendly boat leaves the ocean wildlife and its ecosystems intact and in a better condition for generations to come. We are thrilled to represent Candela.
As one of the world’s finest and most renowned manufacturers it is a privilege for us to represent Candela Speed Boat both in London and throughout the United Kingdom. On this website I can only offer a taste of this fantastic brand; nonetheless I shall try to give you a flavour of these wonderful yachts.
For more information please do get in contact with us.
Since their inception in 2015, the team behind Candela Speed Boat AB remains determined to find ways to make electric boats with both range and speed. The team consist of some of the leading experts in their respective fields with backgrounds from Eurocopter (structural composite engineering), Saab Gripen (flight control electronics), Artemis and Oracle racing (America’s Cup, hydrodynamics), Scania (transmission & hydraulics) and the Technical University of Denmark (dynamic modelling and software algorithms). In addition, the company is managed by people with many years of senior management and CEO-level experience from both start-ups and large global corporations.
At the end of 2016, a full-scale prototype was launched and, after some fine tuning, the target of more than 50 nautical miles per charge in 20 knots was reached! That has never been achieved by an electric pleasure boat before. The achieved range is approximately four times greater than the best electric boats currently on the market and is close to or on par with combustion engine boats of the same size.
Candela’s unique design goes beyond state-of-the-art. It is the world’s first electric recreational boat with hydrofoils. Several patent applications have been filed. The product is based on the following technical findings and inventions:
- Hydrofoils combined with the inherently superior energy efficiency of an electric motor allows for an 80% reduction in energy consumption at speeds around 20 knots. The fully submerged hydrofoils also provide a smooth cruise without slamming and wake build-up which is beneficial for the local environment.
- A patent-pending foil control system where the control of height, roll and pitch is made exceptionally robust. Previous submerged foil systems seen on all larger commercial vessels rely on flaps/ailerons, which would not be robust enough for a consumer product.
- A unique retraction mechanism solves the issues met in shallow waters, while trailing and during storage. The front foils are retracted vertically and protected by a step in the hull. The aft foil is retracted through a double rotational movement and protected by the swim platform.
- A state of the art flight controller that captures the boat’s movements from 7 sensors and establishes the full-state 3×6 matrix (position, velocity and acceleration with regards to position in x, y and z and rotation around the same axis) using advanced sensor fusion algorithms. The position of the actuators controlling the forward and aft foils is updated at 100 Hz resulting in a very smooth and steady ride even in tough wind and sea conditions.
- Ultra-light hull materials are used to offset the battery weight and to further reduce the power needed. A carbon fibre single skin in hull, deck, hydrofoils and interiors reduces the weight of the boat, including 230 kg batteries and all equipment to less than 1350kg. The hull weight is approximately 180 kg and the deck 60 kg – a conventional glass fibre boat of the same size typically weighs more than 1500 kg.
Combining all these innovations in an all-new boat design allows Candela to optimise the benefit of each concept, something that cannot be accomplished by retrofitting an existing hull.